OAK AIRPORT DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT (DEIR)
THE COMMENT PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5PM OCT 16, 2023
- THE DEIR was released on July 17, 2023. The comment period has been extended to 5pm October 16, 2023.
- OAK is trying to sell this proposal as “Terminal Modernization & Development” while burying the fact that they also plan to add a new terminal. This proposed terminal will add 16 gates to the current 29 gates in Terminals 1 & 2. THIS IS NOT JUST MODERNIZATION, IT’S MAJOR GROWTH, a 55% increase in the number of gates!
- Click here to see the actual DEIR. Be prepared, it’s huge!
- Click here for a fact sheet that describes the proposal, but does not include the actual environmental impacts. TWO MAJOR CONCERNS WITH THE DEIR PROPOSAL
- INCREASED NOISE AND AIR POLLUTION: 55% growth means more passengers and more planes. The FAA has continually refused to mitigate and change their noisy and intolerable NextGen flight paths. This plan will add an unknown number of planes to the already busy and noisy flight paths, 24 hours a day.
- INCREASED GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS CONTRIBUTING TO CLIMATE CHANGE: According to the Center for Biological Diversity, aircrafts are one of the fastest-growing sources of greenhouse gas emissions. They currently account for 9% of greenhouse gas emissions from the US transportation sector. At a time when we should be reducing greenhouse gas emissions OAK Airport is proposing to increase them! The former head of the UN Climate Body, Professor Sir Bob Watson, recently said we are not reducing emissions fast enough. “The big issue is we need to reduce greenhouse gases now to even be on the pathway to be close to 1.5C or 2C. We need to reduce current emissions by at least 50% by 2030. The trouble is the emissions are still going up, they are not going down.” BBC News: Science, July 20,2023: World will miss 1.5C Warming Limit
- ATTEND A COMMUNITY MEETING COMMUNITY: Live or Virtual, either August 15 or 30, 2023. Click here and open the “Public Meeting Information” section.
- SUBMIT A WRITTEN COMMENT BY 5PM OCTOBER 16, 2023: It doesn’t have to be long and details are not necessary. It’s enough to say you’re opposed to adding a new terminal to the airport. Submit your comment here.
- SHARE THIS INFORMATION with others
- CHECK FOR UPDATES on this SOSEB website or on the StopOak Expansion website.